Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The difference a year makes

It amazes me to think last year at this time I was not only considering weight loss surgery but had gone as far as researching and had made an apt with a doctor to talk about the process.

Its been a long road however looking back it went quickly. I started eating better, well now that I know how to eat better I guess initially I started eating less and started exercising a little bit. I lost almost 30 pounds. Then I did some routine blood work for my doctor and got the crap scared out of me. My cholesterol was through the roof, my blood glucose was boarder line diabetic, my blood pressure was up, I barely had enough energy to put one foot in front of the other, my body always ached.

The day I got my blood work back I saw a post from a local trainer offering a total body transformation. I decided then it was what I needed to do. I started with him a few weeks later and have not been the same since. I have always had psoriasis and hid my arms and legs from people so honestly this transformation was not looks. It was about becoming healthy. About being around for my kids. Ten months after starting with this new way of thinking I can honestly say not only have I had a body transformation but an over all transformation. I feel the healthiest and happiest I probably ever have. My blood work and blood pressure are normal, my energy is through the roof and I feel fantastic.

Don't get me wrong I still have a long (long) way to go to be at my healthy weight but today I am 49 (grr i WILL hit 50) pounds closer than I was last July 1st. Had anyone told me last year that it would take me a year to loose that much I probably would have give up before I started, thinking I would never get there but here I am. Its been a slow .5 - 2 pounds a week (average) sometimes gaining sometimes really wanting to say to hell with it I'm giving up but it has all Ben worth it.

A year ago I never would have walked into a gym and worked out. I never would have known I could push myself and see results. Looking back at how scared I was amazes me because today I have confidence I only imagined. People have gotten mad at me for being selfish, excuses to get me off the wagon, laughed at what I said I was doing and somehow none of that mattered.

Things are changing again, school and stuff. I honestly can't wait to see where I'm at next July!