Sunday, June 2, 2013

Blisters, sunburn & growth

What a wonderful weekend. I was sad to see my pumpkins did not make it. The problem (I think) is I started them inside then transplanted them.

I started right out Saturday digging my new flowerbed. The dirt there has never been worked as far as I know. Its on the side of the house and as I dug and prepared the dirt I found it had a ton of clay, not to mention rusty nails (probably from redoing the porch), broken glass, rocks and the random broken piece of matchbox cars. As I sat there breaking clumps of dirt and clay I couldn't help but imagine Jeffrey as a little boy driving his cars on the porch railings when they visited his grandparents. Probably dropping one or leaving it there to be swept away by wind and left to rust in the dirt until I found it yesterday. Probably a little far fetched but it made me smile to imagine him doing so.

All day I worked there with the sun beating down on my back. Digging and plucking, pushing and pulling until finally it was ready. I had 4 flower plants left over from my flowerbed in the front and I planted them. Then I took random seeds I bought and scattered them in random places. Crossing my fingers something grows.

I worked so hard on that thing. When I was finished I had a nice big blister that had popped and filled with dirt. I had dirt on my face, caked under my nails (which incidently is WAY outside of my comfort zone) but I did it. I still need to figure out what I am going to edge it with but its mostly finished.

I also planted additional pepper plants, edged more of the front side walk and all kinds of random tasks like rescue Kevin when he ran out of gas, having the vehicle towed back to the house, sending Liana off on an all day ride with Jeff and on and on.

Tonight for dinner we were having venison steaks. I wanted something different to go with it. I cooked up some shells. Sliced brussel sprouts. Brushed with oil, added some seasonings and roasted them on the grill. When they were finished I coated the shells with grape seed oil, parm cheese and added brusselsprouts. Then squeezed half a lemon over it all. It was wonderful!

This weekend I have tried more new things than I could have imagined possible for a 48 hour period.