Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring renewal

Ah the first day of spring. I've noticed a ton of posts about baseball and warmer weather and none of that sparks excitement in me like the idea of breaking ground and planting. I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of taking a little bit of land and dropping some seeds into it and watching it produce something that is whole and not full of chemicals I can feed my family.  As you know I'm pretty clueless when it comes to gardening and all that goes with it but its fun learning.

My fist seeds are begging to sprout and building a good foundation to be planted outside.

I've got some flowers that are poking through the cold ground now and that seems to go along with how I feel this time of year. I love all of the seasons here in Western NY and feel blessed to live in such a beautiful area but something happens to me at spring time. Its like I feel awakened and inspired to shed the winter cobwebs. Clearly I am not the only or first one to feel this way however I feel like people get so stuck in the negativity of winter fatigue that they forget about the empowering benefit of this time of year. Its time to embrace the last days of winter just like we do the last days of summer. If your thing is to cook up a big pot of chili on winter days spend a day doing that or bake something in the oven because it won't be long and it will be to hot to light the oven. If you like frolicking in the snow with your kids or dogs do it. If all you see are muddy yards and dirty snow look at it through squinted eyes.  Remember how much fun playing in the mud is? Do it!

I've said this is going to be my best year yet and that this is the year of my mission not intermission. That means for me to participate in life not wait for the right moment. That's exactly what I'm doing. It starts with the seeds planted inside and planning a weekend hike. Starts by having groceries in the house so I can stay on program. Even if I've had a period of time that I faltered and not been as energized is not a problem because there is still time. Its only the first day of spring!

What inspires you? Are you feeling energized and empowered? Why or why not?